“RE$I$TAN¢E” by Mel Beach
This is one in a series of posts featuring an artist whose work is included in the Threads of Resistance exhibition.
Dear Donald Trump,
American citizens are speaking out to express our significant concerns with regards to your administration and policies. To date, we’ve mailed postcards and letters, made phone calls, communicated with our United States senators and congressional representatives, signed petitions and organized rallies and marches – all of which have been dismissed by you and your administration. Since you’d rather think like a billionaire than act like a public servant, let’s utilize the one item that has consistently received your attention: Money, Money, MONEY!!
Now that I have your attention, I would like to express my profound disapproval of your determination to build a wall along the U.S./Mexico border. Not only will this place a huge financial burden on those who actually pay federal taxes, but it will do little to address illegal immigrants entering the United States. Instead, let’s reallocate more of the federal budget into programs and policies that will truly make America great (top left to right, counterclockwise):
- Establish immigration policies that provide a safe space to refugees fleeing from war-torn countries, for immigrants who wish to rebuild their lives and positively contribute to our country, much as our ancestors have done throughout our history (Statue of Liberty)
- Acknowledge and support scientific inquiry and research (beaker and test tube)
- Build bridges and partner with world leaders to work towards world peace rather than bully other nations (peace sign)
- Support our veterans by creating job opportunities, affordable housing and insurance for those who have given so much to our country (star)
- Invest in quality primary and secondary education, so that we can empower our youth and develop leaders (mortar cap, gown and diploma)
- Provide affordable health insurance for all Americans (vaccination, first aid and heart)
- Protect LGBTQA rights and provide equal access to marriage (paper dolls depicting gay couple and transgender)
- Create affordable housing (house)
- Celebrate and fund the arts including music, visual, performance and literature (guitar, music note and painting)
- Preserve our environment and natural resources, including our waterways, air quality and wildlife (fish and tree)
- Respect women’s rights, our right to choose and equal pay (dress, uterus and female symbol).
- Invest in renewable energy (windmill)
As Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed, “Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country.” The country is speaking up and I truly hope you will listen and start standing by the country and its citizens vs. your own self-interests, your family, the Trump organization, your business associates, and other questionable affiliations.
Hear a message from Mel about her piece below: