Wednesday, June 14, 2017

“Speak Truth” by Katherine McClelland


“Speak Truth” by Katherine McClelland

This is one in a series of posts featuring an artist whose work is included in the Threads of Resistance exhibition.
 
Artist’s Statement:

As a middle class, white, cisgender female I am surrounded by privilege. I am guilty of being complacent. During Obama’s administration I was happy to let others fight the battles, comfortable with the idea that those in power would put the welfare of the people first. This was a mistake. We are country built on the idea of government for and by the people. That requires us to be actively involved in that government. This piece is about becoming more involved in disrupting hate and supporting my fellow human beings. Marching with my 12-year-old daughter in Washington D.C. in January was an important and empowering moment for me so I chose to focus on an image of myself wearing the iconic Pink Pussy hat. I wanted the words to be present but not overpowering. To see all the text the viewer has to move around, change their viewpoint, and take a moment to read. In doing so, the viewer becomes more active and less passive.
 

Hear a message from Katherine about her piece below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may not appear immediately, because they will be moderated before being posted. We will not post any rude, insulting or uncivil comments, or any anonymous comments.